Sunday, October 4, 2009




I DID IT! It was a long 26.2 miles, but I had a lot of fun doing it. I did the marathon with my Dad and he and I took a bus up to the starting line at 4:45am. It was brisk, but they had bonfires all over that you could huddle around to keep you warm until the start. The gun went off and we started running. I ran with my Dad for about a quarter of a mile when he told me to go on ahead of him. It was still pretty dark outside as the race started at 6:45am and it was neat to run under the stars.


Along the course there were cattle ranches and the farmers had come out with their families to cheer on the runners. Some of the best parts were giving the little kids "high fives" as you ran past. The first 18 miles or so went by pretty easily, it was mile 19 that my thighs started to ache and scream at me. I pushed through the pain and with the encouragement of the crowds I pushed on to the finish. My running slowed down dramatically those last few miles, and in hindsight was probably a good thing. Jill and Scott barely made it to see me cross the finish line!


Thanks to all of you who have encouraged me in this endeavor and most of all to my wonderful wife who gave me the time to train for this race.


Will I do it again? Ask me in a few days after my body has recovered.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

good job Matt. That's quite an accomplishment! I gotta get my saggy bum in shape and maybe I'll run one in a few years ;)

Wendy said...

Whooo Hoo! I am so way proud of you! One day, I will be a Matt Fowers, when I get older! You are way too cool - the crazy part is how much training and prep work goes into this one race. What a great accomplishment.

Gray Family said...

Hip-Hip Hooray! Great job - just watching Jeff do the 1/2 was exciting, I can only imagine the thrill of completing a full marathon. I think it's great that you got to run with your dad - what a neat experience. Come do a marathon down here with Jeff - how fun would that be!